The Role of Nutrition and Nutritional Supplements in Asthma
Nutrition and Nutritional Supplements in Asthma Interview with Nicholas Kenyon, M.D. Associate Professor of Medicine Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine University of California, Davis.
We learn about:
* Increased consumption of vegetables and fruit led to fewer respiratory symptoms and improved lung function
* Is obesity an independent risk factor for asthma in adults?
* Mouse model to adult trials in asthma. These options are cheap, readily available, and there is decent biological rationale to study them in severe asthma
* Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on measures of airway resistance and subjective assessment of asthma control
* Nitric oxide may be protective against the development of allergic airway inflammation and airways hyper-responsiveness
* Fish oils and Asthma
* Essential Vitamins, Elements, and Amino Acids—potential treatments such as
* EPA-enriched omega3 fatty acids as asthma supplements
* Diet’s impact on the immune system will be focus of increasing research
* Recommendations such as
– Olive oil !!!
– Walnut !!!
– Omega 3 fatty acids !!
– L- arginine !!
– Vitamins A, D !
– DASH diet – Fruit/Veg !!